[mythtv-users] Looking for a recommendation for a PCI-Express video card with TV-Out

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jun 19 16:10:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> wrote:
>> Another option that is becoming very appealing (if you're desiging a
>> system) is a motherboard with integrated Intel graphics.  Intel now has
>> excellent XvMC support for HD watching and it saves you having to put
>> another card in your system in the first place.
>>

> Are there any such motherboards that have s-video out? I had trouble finding
> any. What would be the best way to use intel integrated graphics and hook it
> up to a plain SDTV with svideo/composite in? I might need to do some
> hardware updates soon and am very interested in this option.

You will get a little better picture with SVideo.  Also,  you can get
cheap passive converters for a couple dollars to switch from SVideo to
coomposite.  They work in reverse but you don't get the benefits of
SVideo that way.

The main difference is that SVideo doesn't have dot crawl.  It isn't a
big difference, imho, but it is a difference.

You can see dot crawl by looking at the vertical edge of something in
the picture.  It looks like the dots are moving up.

Allen