[mythtv-users] ticket locking

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 19 14:02:06 UTC 2008

Andrew Williams wrote:
> 2008/6/18 Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl>:
> I'm not sure if you understand what valgrind does, nor do you
> understand how large the mythtv codebase is.

Pinpoint possible errorprone code.
The size of the codebase was not under my direct influence.

> You say that, but alot of variables go into a working system

Depending on how you set it up.
ANd I said I could provide info on how I did set it up.

> Hardware: exact make, models, bios revisions, card details, card versions, etc.
> OS: Distro, library versions, stock or distro patched versions
> MythTv: plugins, compile time options, optimization flags (if on a
> source distro).

Sure. If you want to go that way you can have it all.

> Any of these could cause the problem, replicating a system isn't as
> easy as you make out.

Is the code, the compiler, etc so flaky?

> Fact is, if its causing you major pain to have it leaking memory then
> you should shut down your system long enough to do some diagnosis work

If you understand how much of an extra load valgrind is, how much time
it must run to see enough of the issue etc you can understand why
diagnosis is kinda hard.

> on it. Otherwise, suck it up. I was in a similar situation last year
> with a memory leak sucking 300-400mb on a daily basis, just had to sit
> it out and hope for the best.

300MB per day is a lot quicker than the growing speed here.

Udo

PS: the disk of the system is acting up now. Must find out the actual
cause/status before I can say what I can do to help you.
If I have to rebuild, I can have an even more concrete description.