[mythtv-users] digital audio wiki is wacky.

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jun 19 05:09:44 UTC 2008

I am still trying to get both analog and spdif outputs.

Peter suggested I look at the digital audio wiki.  I had looked at it
but, per his suggestion, I implemented it.  It doesn't work!

I carefully noted the output of "aplay -l" and got:
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

This looked exactly right for the way the example was configured so I
copied it over to "/etc/asound.conf"  (see attached file)

I set up Myth for ALSA:multi  and ALSA:digital as instructed.

With AC3 passthrough checked, I get digital lock but no analog.  With
them unchecked, I get modulated analog sound.  By modulated, I mean
the sound gets louder and softer at a constant rate so you basically
miss every other word.  Kind of a wah-wah pedal or the fadder on my
old Fender amp.

I also looked at posts for this problem on Ubuntu per Barb's
suggestion.  For some reason my post didn't post but I did see posts
by other people with the same problem identically.  None of them were
answered.  I also found posts by people who fought the wiki and just
said they gave up.  I noted in mine that I hoped this time would be
different.  Perhaps there is a perfect post I missed in the two hours
I  have been looking today (not counting the 14 hours I put into
getting Myth working yesterday).

Well, maybe people don't reply because it is in the wiki.  But the
wiki is wacky -- it doesn't work.

To be fair, the first part of the wiki seems to work fine in that I
get normal analog audio without the fading with that installed.  Only
when I add the second part, the part that is supposed  to enable what
I am trying to do (multi) , that it gets wacky.

If anyone has actually done this and made it work on real hardware,
could they share what they did?  I am not the only one trying to
figure this out. I will attach my asound.conf file below.  It is
identical to the wiki except it combines the two sections as per the
instructions.  I hope attach works on this board.

I am grateful for the replies I got and hope to get some help on this problem.

Allen