[mythtv-users] Odd behaviour when a program is scheduled to record by two schedules at once

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 22:55:44 UTC 2008

On 18/06/2008, Nick Craig-Wood <nick at craig-wood.com> wrote:
> I've got a bit of an odd problem with mythtv which I'm having
>  difficulty finding the solution to!  Probably because I'm having
>  difficulty explaining the problem in once sentence...
>
>  I'll give a specific example...
>
>  I have a recording schedule which records "House" at high priority (+8).
>
>   * Record at any time on any channel.
>
>  I also have a power search which records any programs on in the
>  evening which have a high rating.  This schedule has a low priority
>  (-4) so it doesn't interfere with anything else.
>
>   * Record at any time on any channel.
>   * Power Search
>   * Search phrase: HOUR(program.starttime) >= 19 AND HOUR(program.starttime) <= 23 AND program.stars >= 0.67
>
>  I get my listing data from Radio Times, and they have recently started
>  giving the RT choices of the day a high rating which is fantastic and
>  exactly what I want for filling up the box with good TV.

That wasn't them, that was me :) I updated the grabber so that
anything recommended by the RT was given maximum star-rating (but
different metadata to show it was a RT choice, and not a film rating).

>  However the problem comes when "House" is a Radio Times choice of the
>  day (which it often is).
>
>  What happens then is that one program is scheduled to record by two
>  recording schedules.  What I'd expect to happen is that the high
>  priority one would win and "House" would definitely be recorded.
>  However what actually happens is that the low priority recording
>  schedule wins, and "House" is scheduled to record with a priority of
>  -4.  This then means that isn't recorded because there are other
>  recordings of higher priority at the same time which is absolutely not
>  what I want to happen (my wife will kill me!).
>
>  I'm running 0.20.2.svn20071021-0.2 which isn't the latest version, so
>  perhaps this is fixed in the latest version?
>
>  I could perhaps re-number or re-order the recording schedules to get
>  them to activate in the other order - would that help?

What is the output from

# mythbackend --printsched

for the House entries? It might make things a lot clearer as to why
your rules are not working as intended. We need to see what the
'final' priority is for your recording rules (that is not always the
priority you assign in the rule). If you have an assigned additional
recording priority to all Power Searches, it could cause the final
rule priority to trump your regular House rule, and win out.

(I'd also recommend upgrading to 0.21-fixes if possible.)

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/