[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Sun Jun 15 22:55:33 UTC 2008

On 04/06/2008 19:40, Carl L. Gilbert wrote:

> I have a 3ware RAID card.  It cost me about $150.  Its a PATA card and I
> don't know what the SATA version costs.
>
> I did not buy it to offload work from my CPU.  I bought it for
> simplicity of managing failures and replacement.  Its so much more
> pleasant that software RAID that its not even comparable.

Hardware RAID is fine in a commercial environment where an
HP/IBM/whatever card or motherboard is used, and replacements are
available for the duration that the machine is covered by maintenance,
for a home machine, what are you going to do if the RAID card dies and a
   compatible replacement isn't available? No such worry with linux
software raid.