[mythtv-users] Mythtv on PS3

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Fri Jun 13 04:39:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 06/12/2008 10:09 PM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> > Hows the UPNP capabilities of the Xbox360 from Myth?
>
> AIUI, the XBox 360 won't play MPEG video via UPnP (only from DVD's, it
> seems).  So, you'd have to transcode all your recordings to the
> Microsoft-blessed format (WMV) for the 360 to be of any use as a UPnP
> client.  If you happen to have MythVideo videos in the right format, you
> can play them via UPnP on the 360 (but what's the point, really, if you
> can't get to recorded TV?).
>
> And, since the 360 uses about 50% more power than a PC (that can
> actually run a frontend), I'll be sticking with running a real
> frontend.  :)  (Of course, the PS3 uses about 33% more power than a
> 360--or 2 times as much as a PC--so it's an even worse choice, unless,
> of course, you decide to take into account the 360's inability to play
> recorded TV, in which case the PS3 is a better choice than the 360, but
> a PC is still better than both... [fade out, stream of consciousness] )
>
> Mike

 This is incorrect.  As of fall 2007 update the xbox 360 can play
mpeg2/4 AVIs.  The mythtv upnp server, however, does not work with the
360.  You can, however, use a cron job with mythlink and expose them
via UPnP with either windows media player (mount myth dir as shared
drive) or natively via ushare.

The myth devs should take a look at ushare as it works as a server for
almost everything.  I know my pinnacle soundbridges work against
ushare, but not myth, and they're said to be quite standards
compliant.