[mythtv-users] MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jun 10 19:47:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:32:27PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 June 2008 12:21:12 Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>

> > It's not piracy.  The first sale doctrine has been upheld for
> > *software*, fercrissake; I'm absolutely certain it applies to movies.
> >
> > So, as long as you're not charging admission, you play back that movie
> > you *purchased* on any device you like, Brad.
>
> I agree that as long as you're not selling copies or charging admission you
> are not likely to have the FBI knock on your door.
>
> But, as I understand it, it is a technical violation of the DMCA to even watch
> a commercial DVD on your Linux box in the USA.
>
> The famous "Betamax" decision seemed to say it's OK for me to record something
> and view it later, but Hollywood seems to be trying to overturn the spirit of
> that decision.

    ...no one ever accused the law of being sensible or consisent.

    We have a number of things that are logically equivalent but may have
different levels of "legality".

    1) Watch stuff recorded off of broadcast TV via VHS.
    2) Watch stuff recorded off of cable/broadcast via Tivo.
    3) Watch stuff recorded off of cable/broadcast via MythTV.
    4) Watch stuff directly off of DVD on Linux.
    5) Watch stuff directly off of DVD on the same machine under Windows.
    6) Watch a file ripped and transcoded from DVD on Linux.
    7) Watch a file bought from iTunes from an AppleTV.