[mythtv-users] ISO plays OK, DVD hesitates

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Jun 10 12:21:30 UTC 2008

Robin Gilks wrote:
> Thought I'd make a change and start by saying I can play an ISO of a DVD
> OK - but the original DVD hesitates, especially in high motion scenes. The
> audio is fine, only the video provides the distraction.
>
> I've checked thats its running in DMA mode as indicated by the '*' in the
> hdparm output below - I'm wondering if the drive itself is on the way out
> (it is a few years old after all).
>
> Be interested in any ideas as although the hesitation is small (can't
> really call it jumpy, jerky or choppy) it is very distracting in a tense
> scene where a camera pan becomes 5-6 separate ones rather than one smooth
> one.
>
> media ~ # hdparm -I /dev/hdc
>
> /dev/hdc:
>
> ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
>         Model Number:       PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-105
>         Serial Number:      CADL102310WL
>         Firmware Revision:  1.33
> Standards:
>         Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
> Configuration:
>         DRQ response: 50us.
>         Packet size: 12 bytes
> Capabilities:
>         LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
>         Buffer size: 64.0kB
>         DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2
>              Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
>         PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>              Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
> Commands/features:
>         Enabled Supported:
>            *    Power Management feature set
>            *    PACKET command feature set
>            *    DEVICE_RESET command
> HW reset results:
>         CBLID- above Vih
>         Device num = 0 determined by the jumper
>
> Cheers

I've had some DVR-106DB which were veeerrry picky about media, special
rewritables where almost unusable, abandoned them.

Mine does:
ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
         Model Number:       _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A
         Serial Number:
         Firmware Revision:  1.05
Standards:
         Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
Configuration:
         DRQ response: 3ms.
         Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
         LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
         DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2
              Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
         PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
              Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns