[mythtv-users] Fedora 9 caveat

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 21:27:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Gordon McCrae
<gordon-mccrae at bluebottle.com> wrote:
> Calvin Dodge wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 1:47 PM, William <william_munson at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe its time to fall off the Fedora bandwagon and use a distro with
>>> long term support. I abandoned Fedora about a year ago and have not
>>> regretted it since.
>>>

>> So ... what bandwagon are you on? Have there been no complaints about
>> Mythtv on your favorite distro?
>>

> Well put, as an OpenSuSE user I normally get a lot of this aimed in my
> direction and to be honest have mostly got to the point of ignoring it.
>
> However, it is still annoying when someone tries to get help with a
> problem or, in this case, warn other folks of a problem and they end up
> getting the old "why don't you switch to distribution XYZ like the rest
> of us".
>
> If we were all of that type of mindset we'd still be using Windows.
>
> Hope you have a great time with your Redhat system, I'm certainly having
> fun with SuSE.

Now, now - RH would object to that term, I think. It's _Fedora_.

If I wanted cheap long-term support, I'd use Centos. But then I
wouldn't have all the latest goodies (I think that's an inevitable
tradeoff).

So now I'm running F9 on the laptop, F8 on the main Mythtv server, and
dual-boot F7/F8 on the slave server (among other things, I do
cellphone Java programming, and fonts in Java programs look crazy on
F8 and F9 (for me, anyway)).

Calvin