[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 15:56:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk> wrote:
> On Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 03:08:49PM -0400, joe.white at wachovia.com wrote:
>
>> Yes, indeed. The ubiquity of 2.4 kernel raid docs has been a major pain in
>> my attempts to troubleshoot my ever-hopeful software raid setup. Is there
>> a publication (hard or soft) that discusses setting up, or more
>> importantly, troubleshooting software raid under the 2.6 kernel?
>>
> The current location for linux software RAID info (HOWTO, FAQ, etc) is at:
>        http://linux-raid.osdl.org/
>
> There are ongoing attempts to get the Linux HOWTO people to point
> there instead of keeping around the outdated and unmaintained HOWTO that
> everyone ends up getting confused by.
>
> Cheers,
>        Robin

Thanks for the link.  Much more helpful than just using the mdadm man
page - wish I had found it when I set up my first software raid (very
trial-and-error).

One question - I have read both that it is and is not possible to move
a raid-5 to larger disks by replacing them one-by-one.  I would think
this sort of procedure would be desirable for us myth users who
consistently seem to build "budget-conscious" machines and then run
out of space for our favorite shows.

The wiki page on "Growing" makes the following statement:
"It is possible to move whole RAID array to bigger disc drives by
replacing one by one."
which is followed by:
"This section, about how to do it, needs to be written by someone who did this."

Has anyone, that we know of, done this?