[mythtv-users] mythfrontend unresponsive after inactivity

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Jun 4 12:14:11 UTC 2008

>> about 30% of the time, the graphics card wont wake up to a remote
>> control press. Plugging in a mouse and wiggling it wakes it up. BUT,
>> mythfrontend is completely unresponsive. I always leave myth on the
>> Watch Recordings page, and when this happens, the frontend is frozen
>> on that page, but completely empty with no recordings listed.

I seem to recall another post about the frontend locking up if it sits
at the watch recording screen for a long time, though I don't think a
solution was ever mentioned.

Try leaving it on a screen other than watch recordings and see if it
freezes (try the main menu and the guide grid). Assuming it's only on
that screen, it could be a number of different things. I'd try
disabling the live preview if you have it enabled, as there may be a
bug in that code. I fixed a bug with the live preview locking up the
watch recording screen, but maybe there's still another part of it I
didn't catch.

It also may be possible that the watch recording screen is opening a
DB connection and then just continues to reuse it, and after a while
the handle becomes stale. I know this type of thing happens when I
connect from my work computer to my home computer. The firewall does
NAT, and when it stops seeing traffic on a port for about 30 minutes,
it just forgets about the connection. The socket never actually
disconnects...just disappears. Now, you wouldn't likely be doing NAT
on your internal network, but maybe there are other configurations
that do similar things (maybe a software firewall?).

--
Ron