[mythtv-users] mythfrontend unresponsive after inactivity

Justin Nolan hondacrxsi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 07:59:33 UTC 2008

> Justin Nolan wrote:
> > I have the most peculiar issue that has been bugging me for
> months. I
> > leave my frontend/backend running 24/7, and when I'm using it I
> never
> > have any issues. Pressing a button on the remote wakes the graphics
> > card up, and I continue wherever I last left off. The problem is,
> > about 30% of the time, the graphics card wont wake up to a remote
> > control press. Plugging in a mouse and wiggling it wakes it up. BUT,
> > mythfrontend is completely unresponsive. I always leave myth on the
> > Watch Recordings page, and when this happens, the frontend is frozen
> > on that page, but completely empty with no recordings listed. The
> only
> > way to bring the system back is to ssh in from another machine and
> > kill mythfrontend. Of course I've checked the mythfrontend log, and
> > there are absolutely no errors or anything logged.
> >
> > Does anyone have any insight for me? I'm not sure if it's
> > mythfrontend, lirc, or my graphics card to blame. Again, the only
> time
> > this happens is when the system has been idle and I press a button
> on
> > the remote to wake up the screen. And even then, it only happens a
> > small percentage of the time. But when it does, it drives me
> bonkers!
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> What state does your PC go into when you leave it idle? Just a
> screensaver? Or one of the sleep or suspend-to-ram or suspend-to-disk
> modes? Personally I've not had much luck with STR or STD.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

I disabled everything. Right now I have it just go to a screensaver...
I disabled all power management with gnome-power-preferences. When it
goes to the screensaver, mythfrontend freezes. My remote wont stop the
screensaver. If I wiggle the mouse the screensaver stops, and
mythfrontend is completely unresponsive. Nothing in the logs. I need
to remotely kill mythfrontend, and then restart it.

This is driving me NUTS. I running mythbuntu 8.10 w/ the weekly fixes
build. The past two updates seem to have made this worse. It use to
happen maybe 30-40% of the time, but now it freezes 100% of the time
if I let it sit idle for a while. I have no other problems.

What could mythfrontend be doing while idle that would cause it to
lock up, and NOT leave anything in the logs? I dont know how lirc
works, but I find it strange I can wake up the screensaver with the
mouse but not the remote. But since I believe lirc only influences
mythfrontend, with mythfrontend hung, I guess it makes sense. I'm
pulling out my hair over here, because every time I sit down to watch
TV it turns into a big ordeal.

Thanks!