[mythtv-users] Faster CPU and more RAM in SD frontend or backend?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 10:50:36 UTC 2008

2008/6/3 Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu>:

> FWIW, the following may be relavent too:
>>

>> http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/18/massive-google-hard-drive-survey-turns-up-very-interesting-thing/
>>

> Yeah, I actually remember reading about that study. So I hadn't worried too
> much about heat on my hard drives. But I thought throwing 4 in an old Dell
> case with one fan might be pushing it.

Probably not as much as you think, depends on how densely packed the drives
are I guess. I've got 4 drives in RAID5 in my home server (yeah, I know, it
should be 3 or 5, but I'd bought the drive when I realised this.) and
they're on thick neoprene gromits (in the bottom of an Antec P180) which is
fantastic for noise reduction, but doesn't provide a lot of head sinking.
Those drives get uncomfortably hot to the touch but I don't worry leaving
them on 24/7. (Maybe I am being naieve though, but I work on the assumption
that they're in RAID 5 so if one goes I shut down the array and fix ASAP.)

I would suspect the bearings in modern HDs can more than handle the temp,
and modern HD platters are usually glass which doesn't suffer warping issues
like metal used to, so as long as you accept that HDs do occasionally fail,
you'll be fine. :)

> is 'just TV' and that is kind of why I like to experiment around with new
> stuff on my MythTV box. I suppose I am some sort of Linux masochist, but if
> I didn't break my MythTV box every year or so with dist-upgrades or hardware
> changes, I wouldn't know hardly anything about Linux.

Isn't this what 'computers as a hobby' is all about. They're no fun when
they work all the time. :))

I've got a home 'server', which happens to be running MySQL, now, as I don't
want to loose myth when my server breaks. (I want to be able to watch telly
whilst i fix it.) I didn't use it for the myth DB, however I have now got
replication working in mySQL as a backup solution. Thank you myth. :)

> I think I may want to do software RAID in the future on a production box or
> a Linux file server. So I wanted to set it up on my MythTV backend to learn
> more about it. I am not too worried if my system gets hosed, I have seen all
> of my season finallies. So if I'm going to screw up my MythTV system, I
> think the summer is the best time to do it. ;)

I know we're drifiting off topic a bit here, but VMWare is good for this
too. (and server is free for personal use.) I've used it to play with ZFS a
bit. (Although, now I want ZFS... damn!!!)

Ian