[mythtv-users] System freezes on boot - Need advice

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 02:42:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:54 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Anyone care to suggest a cause or causes for this?  I could really use
>>> a pointer or two.
>>>
>> Possibly one of the drives nearly dead or a bad power supply.
>>

> Not really what I **want** to hear.  The 250GB drive is not all that
> old, maybe 12-18 months.
It should be under some warranty. If it is a seagate  I know you do
not need a reciept. I believe WD did the same as well but I have only
bought seagates since the 5 year warranty was started.

>The power supply OTOH while not all that old
> was a "run out to Best Buy or Circuit City and get something **NOW**
> because the old one just keeled over" purchase, so it wasn't exactly a
> carefully selected, name brand, quality unit.  To be precise, it is a
> 350W OKIA unit.  It is on the target list for replacement since it has
> **way** too few power connectors for disk drives, none of which are
> for SATA drives.

I suggest you try installing smartmontools and run an extended test on
both drives. Also look at the smart status for bad results. With that
said I have seen many drives at work where the smart status was good
but the drive was defective.

John