[mythtv-users] Is this a good system spec?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Jun 3 19:08:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:35 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Justin The Cynical
> > <cynical at penguinness.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Allen Edwards wrote:
> >>
> >> *snip*

> >> Why do these companies insist on putting the digital out in such brain
> >> dead places?  Come on, in front of the case??
> >
> > Justin,
> >
> > Thanks for pointing that out.  That was just the kind of feedback I was
> > looking for -- some deal killer I overlooked.  Having the front cover
> open
> > and the optical coming out of it is not what I am looking for.  Now I
> have
> > to start over.  Oh well.
> >

> > What do people use for a simple system like I have outlined that does not
> > require cabling in the front?
> >
> > Allen
>
> why not get a Mac Mini? HDMI output, Optical output, small, fast Core
> 2 Duo processor, remote control, etc.
>
> the mac rumor mill says they're due for an update soon, so it may make
> sense to wait a bit to see if that happens, but if this is something
> you want right away theres nothing wrong with the current crop (just
> the price should come down some). I'd get a refurb unit through the
> apple store as you can save a bit of money doing that.
>
> --
> Steve

This is no doubt an excellent suggestion but I am afraid I would break out
in hives if I had a MAC in my house.  Seriously, I have had PCs so long, I
don't want to learn a new set of problems.  I am having enough trouble
learning mythtv. ;^)

So, I am now researching to find something with all the required outputs on
the rear panel.  I need:
1) DVI
2) SVideo
3) SPDIF, either coax or options
4) L and R audio.
5) USB and KVM

I can't find a barebones system that does this so I am now looking at cases
and MBs.  I will post what I find and, as always, am open to suggestions.

Allen