[mythtv-users] dct6200 firewire problems, choppy video, scrambled sound (More Info)

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Jun 2 09:19:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 01:02 -0700, Dmitry Shesterin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am gradually giving up on the idea of being able to record HD off a
> DCT6200 box via firewire... As a tradeoff I was thinking of feeding
> the video into my PVR150 card via S-Video, but the question is how do
> I switch the channels then? Firewire switches channel no problem, but
> how do I tell Mythtv to record video via one cad and switch channels
> for the recording with the other (FW)?

Don't give up - I was one of the first to have firewire recordings, and
after some initial stability, I went through H*LL with my cable box
flipping the node id.  Eventually I realized (after reading the
archives) that I was much better off using Broadcast rather than P2P.
Channel-changing didn't matter.  I don't think I've dropped a firewire
recording in over a month since then.  Just in time for Comcast SciFi-HD
to arrive. ;)

But if you *really* want to move away from firewire, then the answer to
your direct question is to use the 6200ch program as an external
channel-changer for your recordings through the PVR-150.  Just like
using serial channel-changing, except a different program.  You can find
6200ch in mythtv/contrib/channel_changers/

	-I