[mythtv-users] OTA interference with cable causing ghosting

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jul 31 03:09:35 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 20:39:08 Allen Edwards wrote:
> Use RG-6Q cable and professional connectors attached with a high
> quality crimp tool.
>
> Connectors: https://www.tselectronic.com/thomandbetts/sns.html
> crimp tool like this:
> https://www.tselectronic.com/paladin/901024.html
> Cable like this:
> https://www.tselectronic.com/belden/1189.html
>
> And, if you get this stuff, you can use these cables for your audio
> and video interconnects with this:
> https://www.tselectronic.com/gc/video/video_adaptor.html
>
> Some people prefer this wire:
> https://www.tselectronic.com/belden/7916a.html
> or similar with solid coper center conductor but I have used the coper
> coasted steel stuff without issue.
>
> I had the same issue with off the air interfering with cable until I
> got this kind of cable.

Reasonable advice.

Make sure things are well grounded as well, a lot of cable installers give
short shrift to this. If you are really close to the transmitters you may
have to ground at multiple points.

But if the feed to the capture card is the only one that's bad, and the others
are OK, then you probably have a single cable or connector problem.

If you are actually in the Near Field of the transmitting antennas I'd
consider moving :-)

beww

beww