[mythtv-users] DVD audio is really low and with Alsa:surround51 no audio when playing Live TV

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Mon Jul 28 14:15:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 3:17 AM, Macbeth <macbeth at ngi.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm using mythubuntu and after a lot of work I finally managed to get my own
> mythtv work.
> I need to solve 2 issues... both related to audio.
>
> The first problem is that the DVD audio is really very low compared to my
> videos , live TV recordings or music (about 50% softer). I do different try
> with alsamixer, but without find any solution (every channel appear to be
> settled correctly).
>
> there is a special option to increase the dvd audio output of the internal
> player ?
>

> The second question is harder.
> I want use my computer to do the decoding of DTS and AC3 audio info, because
> I don't have any external decoder (I'm using a cheap 5.1 kit from logitech
> and embedded 7.1 sound card).
>
> For this reason I'm using the Alsa:Surround51 audio output in general
> configuration of my mythfrontend with max decoding channels = 5.1
>
> For a strange reason when I use this audio output the Live TV audio stop
> working (music and videos are ok)... is a frontend issue, because if I
> record something and I change the audio output to Alsa:default I can listen
> the record.
>
> The TV card capture the audio with the line-in input of my sound card.
>
> Thanks to anyone that can help me.

I would recommend you delete both configure files for alsa, that is
alsa.conf and .asoundrc.  Some distributions have to uninstall pulse
audio as well.  I did  not with Mythbuntu 8.04.  The defaults work,
the configure files don't, in my experience. (rename them, don't
delete them).  Set the audio device to ALSA: default and you should be
fine.

Second, if I understand what you are saying about 5.1 there is a
setting in Myth setup that you need to set to Stereo.  It is broken so
don't set it to 5.1.  You will still get 5.1, it is just broken.  The
install documentation explains this.  If you are setting something
else, well, then I don't know about it.

Hope this is helpful,

Allen