[mythtv-users] nuvexport, mythtranscode, & etc automatically

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sun Jul 27 18:21:36 UTC 2008

I apologize if this has come up a number of times, but from all of the
different posts I've read and various (somewhat conflicting) how-to's
I've comed through over the past few months, I haven't been able to put
together a clear picture of exactly the right steps necessary to get
auto-transcoding to work.

I've read a bunch of the how-to's
(http://sudan.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=346778 seemed pretty
good, even though I am running Fedora) and made some progress, but
nothing is automated, and the frontends, while having the option
available, cannot seem to initiate a transcode / convert.

If I have this right, transcoding via mythtranscode is simply the
process of re-encoding the stream without the items in the cutlist, and
anything else (nuvexport) is the process of converting from one form of
encoding to another.  Please correct me if I am off on the terminology... :)

I'm able to run the following on the backend, as root, to convert an OTA
HD stream to xvid :
/usr/bin/nuvexport-xvid --nice 19 --v_bitrate 5000
--input="/video/4101_20080724220000.mpg"

But, following the how-to I linked above, if I schedule a conversion via
a frontend, the process doesn't execute (it does show up in the
scheduled items though via the web interface).

If I do manage to get this part working, is there a way to have
nuvexport update the database to point to the newly converted file and
unlink the original automatically?  I know in some cases this might not
be the best thing to do, but I'm only testing things out right now...

Besides.. it's either I start shrinking down the files or I have to add
more disk space. :)

-Rich