[mythtv-users] Advice on TV tuner for use on Comcast cable in Minneapolis

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 25 23:35:25 UTC 2008

James Crow wrote:

> Gordon,
>
>   If he is planning to stick with SD feeds he could get a PVR-500
> (essentially two PRV-150s in a single card) and connect the s-video
> output of the digital box to one input of the PVR-500. The second input
> of the PVR-500 could be connected to his analog cable. That would give
> him two inputs in a single card. The PVR-500 card is quite long though
> so make sure his case has room if you go that route. What setup is
> required for controlling the digital box depends on what type of box it
> is. Some can use serial cables, others need ir blaster devices and I
> think some can be controlled over firewire though I have no experience
> with that.
>
> HTH
> James

Thanks, what about USB, I'm using USB-Nova-T sticks here, and he wants
to go down that route as it makes the cards plug-and-play between his
server and laptop.

Anyone have good experiences with the HVR card in the US? I've seen some
mixed comments. He's really just wanting something that's stable, HD's
not an issue.

Cheers
Gordon