[mythtv-users] Advice on TV tuner for use on Comcast cable in Minneapolis

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 14:59:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> My friend was over on Scotland recently and loved my MythTV setup, now
> he's back home in Minneapolis he's looking to build his own system.
>
> Server and Linux wise I have that covered, however I have no idea about
> connecting up his Comcast cable TV.
>
> He tells me that he currently has an analogue solution, and simply tunes
> his TV stations to each of the cable stations, however when he called to
> get a second feed, they've told him it will need to be digital and will
> come with a tuner box.
>
> Any pointers on the best way to integrate this with MythTV, and what
> tuner cards would be required.
>
> I had thought a simple PVR-250 would be fine for the analogue feed, but
> even then he'll only have one channel available at a time to tune / record.
>
> Also, if the digital feed is do-able, what would he need on the PC
> hardware side to control channel selection?

If all he's interested in is basic cable, he doesn't need to talk to comcast
for a second feed, just get a cable splitter.  Then he can have one go into
the TV so he can watch it the way he currently does without Myth and one
going into a PVR-250 or 500.

If he does want to go with a digital box, you can still use the PVR-250
composite or S-video input to capture, but you'll need some method of
changing channels.  If you're lucky he'll get a box with a serial port on
back (and if you don't you might be able to take it into the cable office
and exchange it - technicians don't always have them available but they
usually have them in the office) which you can use a USB->serial cable to
change channel, otherwise you need an IR blaster.