[mythtv-users] Restarting X problem

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Jul 23 21:03:41 UTC 2008

Brad Fuller wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
>> I thought I saw a post about this but I cannot find it after searching
>> google and the archives.
>>
>> I am having this annoying problem maybe 1/3 of the time or less when I
>> restart X.  I can't correlate what I am doing with it but what happens
>> upon leaving setup or hitting CRTL-ALT-BS is that I get a black screen
>> or a desktop without the top bar and no myth.  Last evening, it was a
>> black screen with a cursor and nothing else.  Hitting CTRL-F2 did not
>> give me a new desktop although I have seen it where it will in which
>> case CTRL-F1 would then clear the problem. Usually, this does not work
>> and I have to CTRL-ALT-BS again, which usually but not always cures the
>> problem and mythfrontend starts.  Like I said, it usually starts fine.
>> It has always started fine when booting up.
>>
>> Problem is that I have both a TV and a projector and the easiest way to
>> switch between them is to restart X.
>
> When you switch between the TV and projector, is that when it fails?
> If so, that might tell you something
>
> You might try and ssh into it and look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log when it
> happens but before you restart again.

Thanks for the reply,

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with switching to the projector
specifically.  I mean, I am in a testing phase with setting up my remote
and such and do a lot of restarts of X now and it happens then.  I only
occasionally watch a movie on the projector but I don't want it
happening for my wife or she will quit using it, so I feel the need to
fix it.

I will follow your suggestion regarding the log and compare it with a
successful restart to see if I can learn the cause.

Good suggestion, I should have thought of that myself.

Allen