[mythtv-users] Nova-t 500 1GigHz CPU?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 08:27:28 UTC 2008

2008/7/22 mat <mat at lessermatters.co.uk>:
> I have the entire DB still on my livingroom PC.

Good

> I would prefer to just move over the recordings table and games though.
> So, I guess it's look at each column and copy it over! oh no, that
> sounds like a nightmare.

To achieve that, you can either

a) move the entire DB (from 0.20) to the new machine, let mythtv-setup
automatically upgrade it to the currently installed database schema,
and then extract the tables you want to save (instructions for this
are on the MythTV wiki). Once you have the tables updated and dumped,
you can drop the database, and then recreate it using the mc.sql
script. Running mythtv-setup at this stage will update the database
schema to the same version as your dumped tables, which can then be
re-imported. The result of this is you get a pristine database
containing only the old data you want to keep.

or

> Seeing as I want to update my living room machine to 0.21 (as it will
> now connect to my garage), can I not 'upgrade' my old DB 'in situe' then
> copy it over to my new machine, then finally point my livingroom machine
> at the copy in the garage? Phew - this complex - is life too short? Hell
> no, I love this stuff!

b) Do an in situ upgrade of the database, and then move it to the new
database host. If you want to keep all of your old settings, this is a
good option - just remember to take plenty of database backups so that
you can easily restore good data if anything 'bad' happens. If you
want to extract certain tables (as mentioned above) and then drop the
updated database on the new host and recreate it from scratch, you
should also end up with a clean database containing your old
recordings/games data.

Things will get much easier after the move to SQLite sometime in the future :)

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/