[mythtv-users] Horizontal seam in picture - contradicting EDID

Julian Edwards myth at julian-edwards.com
Fri Jul 18 18:26:57 UTC 2008

Dan Wilga wrote:
> This is commonly referred to as a "tear" (as in "rip", not what comes
> from the ducts in your eyes when you first see it on the $1000+
> display you just bought.)
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_tearing
>
> For what it's worth, I get something similar at 1080p or 1080i on my
> Sony TV using HDMI. I am using OpenGL vsync, so the tear doesn't
> move; it's always in the exact same location, and of consistent
> shape. Unfortunately, I don't have another display device I can use
> to see if it's the TV or the PC that's at fault.

I have a theory that this is caused by insufficient bandwidth to the
graphics card.

A year ago I had a big tear on SD pictures until I realised I hadn't
loaded an AGP driver to put it in 8x mode.

Recently I started using 1080p HD and the tear came back.  I
switched my mobo and graphics card to PCI express and hey
presto it's gone again (with no other changes).