[mythtv-users] Maintain Mythtv Uptime using Virtual Machine; Possible?

lists_mythtv_users lists_mythtv_users at bigpizza.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 16:07:51 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM, lists_mythtv_users
> <lists_mythtv_users at bigpizza.co.uk
> <mailto:lists_mythtv_users at bigpizza.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     I need to install a new distro on my backend server.  I only have one
>     backend containing all my tuners.  The mysql server is already on a VM
>     that I can move to a different host on my LAN.  Is it possible to
>     create
>     a VM and create a tunerless master backend on it so that mythtv can
>     still be used on my LAN to watch existing recordings while the real
>     mythtv server is down for a rebuild?
>

> Not supported, no.
I remember now that there was a discussion about tunerless backends
recently.  An unsupported configuration that seems to work.  Since, in
this situation, running the backend in a VM would only be a very
temporary (a few hours at most) solution the fact that it's not a
supported config seems somewhat irrelevant.
> Could also search for the Freebox/IP Recorder which can be set up on
> any backend to serve out M3U playlists of "channels".  Not that you
> have to use it for anything but it would satisfy the requirement of
> having a tuner in any backend.

I'm not familiar with the Freebox/IP Recorder.  I'll google it and find
out what I can do with one.

Thanks,

Steve.