[mythtv-users] Maintain Mythtv Uptime using Virtual Machine; Possible?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 15:58:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM, lists_mythtv_users <
lists_mythtv_users at bigpizza.co.uk> wrote:

> I need to install a new distro on my backend server.  I only have one
> backend containing all my tuners.  The mysql server is already on a VM
> that I can move to a different host on my LAN.  Is it possible to create
> a VM and create a tunerless master backend on it so that mythtv can
> still be used on my LAN to watch existing recordings while the real
> mythtv server is down for a rebuild?

Not supported, no.  Could also search for the Freebox/IP Recorder which can
be set up on any backend to serve out M3U playlists of "channels".  Not that
you have to use it for anything but it would satisfy the requirement of
having a tuner in any backend.

Kevin