[mythtv-users] HDTV single-station for living room: Hardware buying list

Bjoern Wuest bjoern.wuest at gmx.net
Thu Jul 17 10:19:26 UTC 2008

Hello there,

Since two years, I am observing MythTV and have subscribed to the mailing
list three months ago. Now it is the time I want to build up my HTPC. Based
on the information collected from Internet and this mailing list, I
configured my HTPC and want to get your opinion on it.

Here is my use-case / situation:

- Recording of two HDTV shows in parallel while watching from one source
(e.g. BD-movie)
- As silent as possible because the HTPC will reside in my living room
directly beneath my TV set (37" or 40" 1080p/24p LCD panel with HDMI input
=> I have to buy this, as well)
- Best TCO in 5-year horizon (investment versus power consumption ; I am
living in Germany where I pay up to 0,25 EURO / 0,40 US-$ for one single
kWh)

And here follows my shopping list:

- HT PC case Silverstone Lascala SST-LC16B-MR
- Asus M3N-H/HDMI 750a AM2+ => nVidia GeForce 8300-based chipset
- Scythe Slip Stream 500rpm 120 mm fans
- KNC ONE TV-Station DVB-S2
- AMD Athlon64 4850e boxed AM2 2x 2.50GHz
- 2048MB DDR2RAM OCZ Rev.2 PC800 Platinum XTC Kit
- Logitech Cordless Desktop Gorilla Laser OEM
- 250GB 3,5" Samsung SpinPoint HD250HJ SATA2 7200rpm 8MB
- Enermax EG365AXVE(G)FMA power supply
- CPU Cooler Master GeminII 6-Pipe
- Blu-ray drive LG GGW-H20L SATA

I am especially worried by the motherboard chipset. What I have had heard,
the AMD 780G or the new nVidia chipsets are the only ones you can use to
playback HD-content without worrying about performance AND noise from fan
AND without installing an extra video card.

So, what is your opinion on the above shopping list?
  Bjoern