[mythtv-users] Intel video

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Wed Jul 16 17:40:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 19:20:29 +1000, Dave Oxley wrote:
> I have an Abit iL-90MV motherboard which is a very cool MOTD board with
> integrated HDMI. I am very impressed with it; I just connected to the
> Plasma and got 1280x720 video and sound with barely any configuration!
> However I have found that when playing back video (MythTV and xine) I
> get a corruption line that gradually moves down the screen. Kind of
> reminds me of tracking on a VCR! I've tried various different MythTV
> options like XVMC and they all either have the same problem or very
> jerky video instead.

That sounds like the tearing video problem that is caused by the
textured video XV port of the intel driver. Please check the output of
this command:

xvinfo | grep -E "Adaptor|port base"

If you only see the "Intel(R) Textured Video" adaptor, then it seems as
you have to live with it.

If you also see a "Intel(R) Video Overlay" adapotor, then you have at
least 2 options:

1. Rebuild MythTV with a patch so that the frontend ignores the
textured video XV port.

http://tikei.de/50_skip_intel_textured_video.dpatch

2. Rebuild the Intel Xorg driver with a patch that adds an option
called "XvPreferOverlay" to give the video overlay port higher
priority. Just add Option "XvPreferOverlay" "true" to the device
section in your xorg.conf.

http://tikei.de/intel-prefer-hardware-overlay.diff

The latter will also work with all other applications, whereas the
first patch only fixes mythtv playback.

To test if video overlay works better without patching anything, you
can use mplayer:

mplayer file.mpg -vo xv:port=<port>

For <port>, use the port number from the xvinfo output above. If you
use the port number of the video overlay adaptor, the tearing video
should not happen, whereas a simple "mplayer file.mpg" should.

Regards,
Tino