[mythtv-users] Intel video

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jul 16 16:41:05 UTC 2008

Dave Oxley wrote:
> I have an Abit iL-90MV motherboard which is a very cool MOTD board with
> integrated HDMI. I am very impressed with it; I just connected to the
> Plasma and got 1280x720 video and sound with barely any configuration!
> However I have found that when playing back video (MythTV and xine) I
> get a corruption line that gradually moves down the screen. Kind of
> reminds me of tracking on a VCR! I've tried various different MythTV
> options like XVMC and they all either have the same problem or very
> jerky video instead.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this please or has this been
> seen before? I really don't want to have to get a new graphics card;
> this machine was supposed to be low power and I've never seen such good
> 'plug and play' with Linux displays before!
>
> I upgraded X11 from 7.2 to 7.3 and xf86-video-i810 from 2.1.1 to 2.3.2
> yesterday but that made no difference. It runs Gentoo with the following
> various software:
> x11-libs/libdrm-2.3.0, x11-base/x11-drm-20071019, media-libs/mesa-7.0.3,
> x11-base/xorg-server-1.4.2, x11-drivers/xf86-video-i810-2.3.2 and
> x11-base/xorg-x11-7.3.

Well that is certainly the latest intel driver.

Is mythtv compiled with xvmc? Are the various xvmc settings correct?

Have your tried various (of the many) combinations of video filters in
TV Playback settings?

What happens when you play a video with mplayer using '-vo xv' or any
other switches?

Note that, unfortunately, the Intel driver is broken for xvmc for frames
over 720x568 in size. Actually the xvmc works, but something else in the
  driver is broken, so that playing a 720p stream with 'mplayer -vo xvmc
-vc ffmpeg12mc' gives the correct output, including a reduced CPU load,
but with a bright green pixelated overlay (like night vision goggles).

None of this sounds like the 'tracking error' effect you are seeing
however.

I have had no problems with the Intel driver going back to the i810
version, aside from xvmc. Try choosing a non-xvmc setting in myth.

Geoff