[mythtv-users] OSD resolution

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Wed Jul 16 13:01:37 UTC 2008

Sebastian Buks wrote:
> My setup consists of a PVR-500 with a standard analog PAL signal going
> in. Now the resolution on that might not be very hight. However I
> output it on a HD-Ready Samsung LCD TV. This is fine, but I notice
> that all OSDs I try get a really really low resolution making the font
> and graphics edgy and not looking nice at all. By judging from the
> screenshot in the wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/images/9/93/Isthmus.jpg
> ) the OSD seems nice and crips. Any clues on what I'm doing wrong here?

If you are connected to your LCD via an S-video or composite input, your
OSD will be rendered at about the same quality as your recordings.

If you are connected to your LCD via a High-resolution method, such as
component, DVI, VGA, HDMI, and you are running X in a high resolution,
such as 1280x720, or 1920x1080, then even though your source material is
SD, your OSD will be able to take advantage of the high resolution that
X is running at.

I suppose if you are running any resolution higher than SD in X, your
OSD should look good.