[mythtv-users] Red color shifted downward in recordings

Will McCreight whmcc at attglobal.net
Tue Jul 15 14:48:45 UTC 2008

I have been using MythTV for some time now, and have ironed out all my
issues except one. For whatever reason, just about all my recordings
have the red color shifted downward by about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, straight
downward. It acts like a chromatic aberration, but I know that is not
the case as this is all digital stuff.

I am having a lot of difficulty trying to Google this out, using
color/red shift/aberration along with MythTV as keywords. I am getting
little to nothing helpful.

I am able to get onto the backends from several of my frontends, and all
frontends show the same issue, so I believe it to be a recording/backend
issue. I am not dealing with issues having to do with the ATSC card, as
I have several, and all do the same thing. I live in downtown Portland,
OR, and have high signal strengths. In addition, one ATSC is a HDTV
card, and the other two are in a SiliconDust HD HomeRun, and both types
have the same problem.

This is just a real puzzle to me, and I am stuck trying to describe the
problem properly enough to move forward searching for an answer.

Again, especially noticeable when a show title moves across the screen,
or looking at a subject's eyes, there is a second image which is of a
different color, red most usually, shifted downward by 4 mm (just now
measured it). I also noted that when for instance I pause the playback
with the "P" key, the menu box which pops up saying "Paused 2:18 of
57:02" in the upper right corner, is ALSO color shifted.

When the recordings are playing, moving stuff about on screen, the red
shifting is less noticeable, and I can watch the recordings without a
lot of distraction, but it is still there. Certainly, going mainstream
for the family on the Big Screen with MythTV will be the big issue, and
I'd like to be able to resolve this one issue.

Help if you have ideas.

Will