[mythtv-users] Booohooohoooo......

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Jul 13 19:57:21 UTC 2008

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> How do I tell the
> difference between recertified and new drives? Something in the serial
> number?

They say "RECERTIFIED" somewhere on the label.  Sometimes you can even
see where they've applied the new label over top of the old one.

> That said, I will say that WD drives account for 80% of the hard
> drives that have ever failed on me.
How interesting that is depends on what percentage of the drives you've
owned have been WD. ;)

I can't draw any conclusions from the arrays at work because they're
100% WD.  They also were all installed at about the same time, and have
very similar operating times, so I guess it's not too shocking that I've
had a few failures close together after a long period of none at all.

I *am* pleased with WD's quick turnaround on advance RMAs and their
generous 5-year warranty on these drives.  They also don't make you jump
through hoops to do an RMA, unlike Maxtor, who insists on a trouble code
from their diagnostic CD.