[mythtv-users] Help installing HDHomerun - HDHR Error - Network is unreachable after reboot

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jul 12 02:18:15 UTC 2008

Alen Edwards wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. That is basically what I have been doing, I think
> 5 or 6 times now.
>
> Just to make sure, I just tried it again.  This time I was able to
> install all 4 tuners (HDHR + 2 air2pc)and everything worked fine until I
> rebooted the computer.  Now, both HDHR tuners show Not Available.
>
> I looked at the mythbackend.log and found this:
>
> HDHRChan(10137dc1/0), Error: Unable to send discovery request
>                          eno: Network is unreachable (101)
>
> I have one of these error messages for each tuner.
>
> I issued a command:
>
> $ hdhomerun_config discover
> hdhomerun device 10137DC1 found at 192.168.1.110
>
> So, it is there and reachable and I can ping it, which makes since as I
> was using it before the reboot.
>
> These error messages do not show up in a google search.
>
> Both the computer and the HDHR are connected to a switch that is
> connected to my network and DHCP router which is upstairs.
>
> AMD 5400+ CPU on ASUS M3A MB
>
> Anyone?

Sounds like you may have 2 problems. Firstly your network may not be
coming up properly. You might try putting a script into /etc/rc.local
containing a 'ifup eth0', followed by a 'service network restart'
(Fedora style: or /etc/init.d/network restart) to ensure the network is up.

Secondly, it seems that myth does not like a unit using a dynamic IP
address. The HDHR *will* take a static address (it's in the forum
somewhere) Been so long I can't remember how I set the unit's IP
address. Or you can effectively make a static address by limiting the
DHCP range which the router is allowed to serve, or designate the IP so
it is effectively fixed. (Netgear routers allow you to reserve IP
addresses against MAC addresses.) This makes the unit effectively
static, and you can put that static address into /etc/hosts.

Apropos that. make sure that you do NOT have MAC address screening
turned on, on the router, and make sure that the router can serve up a
DHCP address...It's easy to set a limit of 3 or 4 DHCP addresses and
then add a bunch of hardware, so that the new one cannot connect (and
*never* will, and will *never* produce an error message beyond 'network
unreachable'...real hair-puller of a problem.)

I got the 12#0 output too and ended up fixing it with phpMyAdmin by
database spelunking.

Geoff