[mythtv-users] Mythweb Flash Stream - Can I Open It With Some Other Player?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Fri Jul 11 16:38:18 UTC 2008

Alen Edwards wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to understand the ASX streaming in the mythweb that ships
>> with 0.21.  In the "Recorded Programs" list, clicking the asx icon from
>> a Windows client results in Windows Media Player starting and then
>> giving an error.  However if I click on the thumbnail and play via the
>> flashplayer on the web page, the files plays fine.
>>
>> Looking at system processes, I see ffmpeg is running.  So what is the
>> ffmpeg command line and when is the resulting encoded file stored?
>> According to the VLC site, it can play flv files.  Thus it seems to me
>> that I should be able to feed VLC a URL and view the stream with it.  Is
>> this possible?
>>
>> The main reason I want to use VLC is because I'd like to be able to see
>> my 16:9 content in a 16:9 window and I'd like a window size that's
>> bigger than the browser window but smaller than full screen.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Drew
>>

> While this is being looked into, I get the same behavior but no sound in
> flash.  I googled and it looks from that like nobody gets sound and
> there is no solution.  However, it looks like Drew is getting sound.  Is
> that correct Drew?

I get sound in the player embedded in the mythweb page.  I get some sort
of "file can't be found" message when copying to URL from the asx file
into either Windows Media Player or VLC network stream dialog.
> That out of the way, what I found may not be what you are looking for,
> but it may be a clue.  This is what I did:
> 1) Opened the asx file with an editor
> 2) Entered the embedded link into Firefox
> 3) Saved the file to my disk
> 4) Played the file in WinAmp.

What makes the flv file get created?  When I click the play button in
the mythweb embedded flash player, I can see a ffmpeg process starts.
However clicking the link that sends the asx file does not start a
ffmpeg process and thus, there is no file to download.  I even tried
clicking the play button on the embedded player and then trying to open
the URL in the asx file with browsers, VLC and Windows Media Player.
File still not found.

> It played fine widescreen in a window with sound.  This is just what you
> want but you probably want it streaming so you don't have to wait for
> the download, which took 15 minutes for a 30 minute show in this example
>
> I could not, however, figure out how to get it streaming into WinAmp.

I wonder if it would stream with VLC?  Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse