[mythtv-users] Multirec causing conflicts when it shouldn't.

Christian Hack christian at hack.id.au
Fri Jul 11 10:25:00 UTC 2008

I have 4 DVB tuners each currently set up with 4 virtual tuners each. I
picked 4 virtual tuners since the multiplexes here in Australia generally
have two different streams and that would allow 1 phyiscal card to have 2
streams finishing and overlap another 2 streams starting to account for
stations not sticking to their schedules here. This is using a fresh 0.21
install (Mythdora 5).

I have 5 distinct frequencies (i.e. I'm one physical tuner short of
theoretically recording everything)

For ease here, tuners are called A, B, C, D (with A1, A2 etc for the virtual
tuners). Channels are 2, 7, 9, 10, SBS. In this example 9 is not used so
there should be no conflicts at all.

All tuners (and virtual tuners) have the same priority. Not using EIT. Apart
from that all 16 virtual tuners work fine. The database is all as expected.
All the virtual cards are in nice numerical order (i.e. cardid 1-4 are on
videodevice 0, tuner 5-8 are on videodevice 1 etc, cardinputid = cardid for
1 to 16). The same video source for all 4 tuner cards.

At 8.30 to 9.30
Tuner A1 records channel 10
Tuner B4 records channel 7 (don't know why it picked 4)
Tuner C1 records channel 2
Tuner D1 records channel SBS

No problem. 7 and 10 shows have 10 minute post roll. 2 and SBS don't

At 9.30 I want to record 2, 10, SBS only

So
Tuner A1 records 10 (10 minute post roll from above)
Tuner B4 records 7 (10 minute post roll from above)
Tuner C1 records 10
Tuner D4 records 2
And the SBS show misses out

The SBS show is a low priority recording, but there are enough tuners for it
to record.

i.e. rather than start the new recordings on tuner A2, A3 or A4 it decides
to start on C1 when it doesn't really need to. It seems to schedule this
first to share the load across tuners which is fine but isn't smart enough
to back track and fix things up when there's a conflict.

Why would it do this? I found one mention of something similar in the
archive but no response from anyone else reporting the same. And then this:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/322228 - I created the
tuners from scratch, creating the 4 virtual tuners when creating the cards
(so it's all in nice order) with no change.

CH