[mythtv-users] Getting locked into channels that have closed for the day.

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 15:58:30 UTC 2008

Nick Morrott wrote:
> 2008/7/8 Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk>:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have an annoying problem at the moment. I set Myth to record a couple
>> of kids programs every day on a childrens channel that ends quite early.
>> When we want to go to live tv in the evening, the system tries to go to
>> this closed channel (because it was the last channel used I assume) and
>> then we have to fight to change channel away from it. I usually just get
>> an error message saying video failed to render then I'm back at the menu
>> screen. I usually have to exit and re-enter Myth a few times before I
>> can change over to a safe/active channel.
>>
>> Is there any fix for this or can I tell the system to always start with
>> channel 1 regardless of what channel was last used?
>
> If this is happening on Freeview, you should enable Interactive TV via
> TV settings. This should enable the display of the 'offline channel'
> information page broadcast via EIT and allow you to tune to another
> channel without the 'failure to tune' messages.

Right, I had interactive TV on, but I was being too impatient. I was
trying to change channel quickly as soon as I saw that I was going to a
channel that was closed and that's what was causing the problem. If I
leave it until a screen comes up saying that the channel is closed then
all is well.

The only problem with this is that it seems to take a long time for that
screen to come up. Maybe a minute or something. Is that normal? Any way
of getting it to come up quicker?

Damian