[mythtv-users] Copyright Legislation in Canada

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 22:48:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 July 2008 15:59:21 Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> I guess the crunch would be how long is a reasonable time ot retain
>> the recording?
>
> 3 or 4 centuries seems reasonable to me.
>
> But NZ has (or at least had) some reasonable laws. Aren't they the ones who
> disallowed region coding on DVD players?

The same new amendments to the copyright act (as I say they don't seem
to be actually in force yet, but I guess the government will "start
them up" soon) define a DMCA style prohibition on devices that
circumvent "Technological Prevention Measures", but excluded from the
definition TPM's is a measure that "only controls any access to a work
for non-infringing purposes (for example [a measure] to the extent
that it controls geographic market segmentation...). So yes, you are
right.

There is also provision for allowing decompiling and observing
computer processes for various reasons. Its all a hard read though
(and IAAL).