[mythtv-users] Copyright Legislation in Canada

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Jul 9 05:43:48 UTC 2008

John Drescher wrote:
>> I'm not aware of any aspects of MythTV that "circumvent a technical
>> protection measure". Certainly not "most aspects" as you've indicated.
>> And if there are any, I certainly don't use them.
>>
> To me it looks like the possibly HD-PVR and dvd ripping will be
> effected however I assume dvd ripping is not legal currently anyways.
>
> John

In the US there is a law called fair use that allows you to make copies
of your material for your own use.  MythTV is just a new age VCR and the
same laws apply.  I don't think anything on myth is in any way illegal
and, while I wish you luck in fighting what seems like an unwise law for
many reasons, I think it best if we all realize that this is completely
legal, that nobody here is breaking any laws or violating any patents or
anything like that.

Personally, I would not want to be associated with a group that
discusses how to break the law.  This is not a list of hackers, it is a
list of law abiding people trying to get their rightful use out of the
things they buy legally and out of freely available off the air programming.

In fact, I would not even want this list to take on the appearance of
being such a group.  So, don't go there.

Enough said,

Allen