[mythtv-users] Copyright Legislation in Canada may make MythTV Illegal

Charles philip Chan cpchan at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 9 04:26:02 UTC 2008

"John Drescher" <drescherjm at gmail.com> writes:

> To me it looks like the possibly HD-PVR and dvd ripping will be
> effected however I assume dvd ripping is not legal currently anyways.

It is currently legal because Canada have a "private copy levy" on blank
media:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blank_media_tax#Canada

Also, thanks to Geist for making the public aware of it in articles in
papers such as the "Toronto Star" and "Global and Mail":

http://www.thestar.com/sciencetech/article/443867

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080619.wgtwebseven0620/BNStory/Technology/home

there has been a lot of public opposition against it. Sigh... I hope the
Harper government won't last long.

Charles