[mythtv-users] Storage Directories - Rotate?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 8 19:44:46 UTC 2008

On 07/08/2008 03:38 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>
>>> Sweet!  That's what I was looking for!  I'll have it balance it out for now,
>>> then maybe later try to get tuners go to separate disks for performance
>>> issues.
>>>

>> BTW, you are free to move files between these folders if you want so
>> you could balance it right now by moving 1/2 the data over.
>>
>> John
>>

> You can move them with no ill effects or path issues?
>
> Eg. I can move some recordings from /video1 to /video2 ( I have both set
> in the default group ) and it will not break the path on where myth
> expects the files to be?

None at all if both directories are in the storage group in which the
recording is stored and both directories are available through the same
host.  None to speak of even if you move a file from a directory in one
storage group to directory in another storage group that's not in the
original storage group (meaning Myth will figure it all out).

Both of the above statements assume that there are no host issues (i.e.
all directories are available on all hosts).  If host changes and the
old host doesn't have access to the new location, there will be issues
(you'd need to change the hostname for the recording), but that
shouldn't be an issue for you.

Mike