[mythtv-users] Storage Directories - Rotate?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 8 19:35:38 UTC 2008

On 07/08/2008 03:20 PM, Trey Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 07/08/2008 02:35 PM, Trey Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to have the storage directories rotate?  For example, I
>>> have two drives:
>>> /mnt/drive1
>>> /mnt/drive2
>>>
>>> I currently have all recordings going to drive 1.
>>>
>>> It's my understanding that if I setup another directory in the
>>> recording group to point to /mnt/drive2, then that will only be used
>>> when drive1 is full.
>>>
>>> Can this rotate so that as new recordings start, they go back and forth?
>>>
>> By default, Myth will select the "local" filesystem with the most space
>> available for new recordings, where "local" means one accessible through
>> the filesystem (whether an NFS/CIFS mount or actual local storage).
>> (Note that you can affect its preference, making some filesystems less
>> likely to be used, but that's another story.)  The only time the default
>> rotation won't really work is if you have separate backends without NFS
>> mounts.
>>
>> On my system, which consists of 2 backends each with local-only storage
>> and no NFS exports, I've configured cardinputs such that the 1st and 4th
>> inputs defined are on the master backend and the 2nd and 3rd inputs are
>> on the slave backend.  With that approach, the first recording to start
>> gets input 1 and, therefore, writes to the master backend.  However, any
>> time 2 or more recordings overlap, the 2nd and 3rd will be written to
>> the slave backend's storage.  When 4 overlap, the 4th will be back on
>> the master backend.
> Sweet!  That's what I was looking for!  I'll have it balance it out for now,
> then maybe later try to get tuners go to separate disks for performance
> issues.

It actually does performance balancing, too--I just didn't go into any
detail on that.  But, basically, it's part of the "you can affect its
preference ... but that's another story."  See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/256679#256679 (that's
the other story).

Basically, though, Myth tries to use the filesystem with the most
storage, but if it's already in use, it will prefer the next-most-free
filesystem.

Mike