[mythtv-users] A Source for Precompiled builds of the trunk

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jul 8 17:19:37 UTC 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Jul 8, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>>> Does this mean trunk is no longer verboten for mere users?
>>
>> Trunk is *never* appropriate for *mere users*.
>> You *always* have to follow (and understand) the -dev and -commit
>> lists - something *mere users* should never have to do.
>
> I build, I use. I report issues. Sometimes the reports could even be
> called bugreports. I have enough to read already. (yes indeed)
> What then?

I'm not sure what you mean by "What then?". If you're not willing to
read/follow the -dev and -commit lists then you should not be running
trunk.
If everyone running trunk read the -dev list then no one would ask
questions like, "Is it ok for me to use trunk right now?" because it
would be obvious based on the discussions there and code posted on the
-commit list.

Of course no one can stop you from running trunk at any time. It's
open source. So go ahead. Enjoy! Just don't complain that stuff is
broken when it's been discussed on the -dev list (and maybe there are
fixes on the -commit list that require an upgrade to fix).

Basically, unless you're willing to invest the time to follow the
development process, you shouldn't be using a development version of
the software. Wait until it's released. Better yet - wait until a
month after it's been released so the general users find all the
missed issues for you and they get fixed. :)