[mythtv-users] Sources and inputs

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 09:56:51 UTC 2008

2008/7/8 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>:
> On 08/07/2008, Chris Dennis <cgdennis at btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Hello MythTV People
>>
>>  My MythTV backend has two DVB-S tuner cards, and a twin DVB-T card,
>>  giving me four inputs in total.
>>
>>  Having read all the documentation I can find, and tried various
>>  combinations of settings, I can't work out how many Video Sources I
>>  should set up.
>>
>>  DVB-S and DVB-T carry different channels (with some overlap), but the
>>  only workable xmltv source of listings is tv_grab_uk_rt.
>>
>>  I've set up a separate channel listing file for DVB-S and DVB-T, i.e.
>>  the files with lines like   channel cbeebies.bbc.co.uk
>>
>>  channel channel5.co.uk
>>
>>  It seems sensible to just have one Video Source defined in mythtv-setup
>>  for DVB-S, and one for DVB-T, because they refer to a single source of
>>  information.  But on the other hand, 'Video Source' also seems to mean
>>  the same thing as 'Input Card' when it comes to switching sources in the
>>  front-end menu.  If I only define one Video Source, I can't use 'Switch
>>  Source' from the Live-TV menu.
>>
>>  What is the best way to set this up?
>
> I would define 2 video sources using the tv_grab_uk_rt grabber, and
> run mythfilldatabase manually for each videosource. A video source
> should contain the channels available on a /card input/ (or card
> inputs if you associate the same video source to multiple card
> inputs). Note that multiple videosources can use the same source of
> listings data (for example you have an analogue tuner, a DVB-T card,
> and Sky Digital) but the channels configured on each videosource will
> be different for each platform.
>
> As long as the 'same' channels (in UK parlance) have the same XMLTV
> IDs associated with them, they will be treated as identical to the
> scheduler, allowing scheduling of programmes on the channels common to
> each videosource on either DVB-S or DVB-T.
>
> Current DVB-S (since the EIT patches were committed to -fixes) and
> DVB-T EIT listings data is now pretty good, so it is an option, but
> there can be differences between the listings for the same channel
> (ITV Central for example) between the two platforms which confuse the
> scheduler enough to wreak havoc with duplicate detection. Using a
> common listings source for each videosource (such as XMLTV) gets
> around this issue, but adds the requirement of an internet connection
> to the mix.
>
> If you run the current development version of XMLTV (a new 0.5.52
> release is imminent, however) you will be able to try out my recent
> work on adding lineup support (basic at the moment) to the grabber.
> You can choose Freeview and FreeSat platforms when running
> configuration, and this will automatically filter the list of
> available channels to those available for the chosen platform from the
> uk_rt grabber. Choosing 'all' to the first channel will instantly
> create your config file containing all channels on the platform*. It
> [...]

it sound that using "--update" switch with  xmltv file should be
better than having two different files if you have same channels on
different sources?

what will happen if you have a few same channels on different sources?
will mythfilldatabase get data for the same channel twice even if the
xmltv id is the same?

I am grabbing at the moment the data for one channel twice because it
is available on two different sources. I would like to able to
optimize grabbing, because xmltv is not the fastest one.