[mythtv-users] Sources and inputs

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 00:47:49 UTC 2008

2008/7/8 Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com>:
> 2008/7/8 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>:

>> * It is possible to use a single XMLTV file containing all channels
>> you can receive on all sources, and run mythfilldatabase (with the
>> --update switch) once for each source pointing to this file. It is
>> also possible to use both XMLTV and EIT data on the same source to
>> cover cases where the XMLTV grabber does not provide listings data for
>> certain channels.
>>

> it sound that using "--update" switch with  xmltv file should be
> better than having two different files if you have same channels on
> different sources?
>
> what will happen if you have a few same channels on different sources?
> will mythfilldatabase get data for the same channel twice even if the
> xmltv id is the same?

When I last looked at mythfilldatabase a year or so ago, I'm sure
there was no logic to apply XMLTV data to all matching XMLTVIDs on any
configured source. Therefore, if you are running mythfilldatabase
automatically the name of the XMLTV config file will be the name of
the video source, and if you have >1 videosource, you need each config
file to contain the channels available on that videosource, even if
you have some common channels.

> I am grabbing at the moment the data for one channel twice because it
> is available on two different sources. I would like to able to
> optimize grabbing, because xmltv is not the fastest one.

If your grabber supports caching of retrieved data (some do, some do
not), this will help to speed up processing as the grabber will not
have to download the source data again. However, depending on how long
the grabber takes to process the listings data and create the XMLTV
output, caching may or may not give a noticeable speed increase.

Alternatively, you can create a single XMLTV config file containing
all channels you want to grab, and run the grabber manually - this is
what I do. Then run MFDB with the --update and --sourceid flags to
import the listings data for each videosource you have configured.

I will try and do some speed tests to determine whether running MFDB
automatically with a config for each videosource is any quicker than
running MFDB manually with a single config file containing all
channels. The grabber I use (tv_grab_uk_rt) supports caching, and
because the XMLTV data is passed from the grabber to MFDB via STDOUT
rather than via an intermediate file when running MFDB automatically,
it may turn out to be more efficient overall to switch from running
manually.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: