[mythtv-users] Desktop partly off-screen problem

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 7 22:01:23 UTC 2008

On Monday 07 July 2008 22:46:01 C.T. Paterson wrote:
> 2008/7/7 Steve Heistand <steve at heistand.org>:
> > play around with 'xvidtune'
> > it can help, it can also generate modelines that are
> > hazardous to the health of your tv.
>
> In theory, I'd be willing - but I don't get the warm and fuzzies with
> that caution.  There's a certain "bull-in-a-chinashop" aspect to my
> navigation of video configuration - and this is a new TV.
>
> > though you may have more luck connecting to the tv
> > with something digital instead of the vga analog connection.
> > there are nice dvi to hdmi cables (with and without audio)
> > that may be of interest to you if you have a dvi out on
> > the video card.
>
> I do have a DVI-out on the card, and I would be willing to try a
> cable; but using the VGA cable would be ideal from the POVs of finance
> and TV input efficiency.  Of course - if I can't get it to work...

You could try the following (always back up your xorg.conf first so you've got something to go back to if X won't start).

Remove any 'ModeLine' and Sync entries from your "Monitor" section. Mine looks like this:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "Generic"
    ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x800"
EndSection

(Obviously I'm using a 1280x800 display, but that line's just a string, I don't think it has any bearing on the actual resolution used)

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX to GeForce 8800"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals"
    Option "UseEvents" "false"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Monitor "monitor1"
    DefaultColorDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Just make sure you have
Screen "screen1"
under the "ServerLayout" section if you have one.

This allows the nvidia driver to pick the best resolution and sync for your monitor.

If that fails, you'll probably be better off with a DVI cable, and try the same file.

My caution for this is that I've only ever used this on laptops and DVI-connected monitors. I expect it would work with a VGA connection, but as that's analogue I can't be certain. I'm sure someone here will know though.

Mark