[mythtv-users] Anyone try a Kworld PlusTV hd pci 120?

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Mon Jul 7 17:15:08 UTC 2008

Jeff Walther wrote:
>> Message: 22
>> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 19:59:43 -0500
>> From: stuart <stuart at xnet.com>
>
>> Anyone try a Kworld PlusTV hd pci 120?
>
> I have not tried it, but I have been browsing the documentation heavily
> prepatory to setting up my own Myth TV installation and I remember reading
> that someone tried it and could not get it to work.  IIRC, the chipset
> involved is different from the ATSC 100 and ATSC 115.

Yes, you are right.  The Kworld ATSC 110 (that's what you meant, right?)
and 115 use these chips according to linuxtv.org:
Philips TUV1236D
Infineon TUA6034 tuner
Philips TDA9887 demodulator (A)
ATI Nxt2004 demodulator (D)
Philips SAA7135

But the (new?) Kworld 120 uses these chips:
Samsung S5H1409 demodulator (D)
Conexant CX23883
...I can't see the tuner chip as I think it is shielded.
This configuration makes the Kworld 120 *very* similar to the Pinnacle
PCTV HD Card (800i) (which, BTW, uses a Xceive XC5000 tuner). Pictures
of the two boards do not match, but are similar.

> Of course, that doesn't mean that there isn't someone somewhere who does
> have it working and either hasn't posted about it, or whose posting I have
> not found.

I haven't found anything either.

> I was interested in it because of the FM tuner feature in addition to the
> regular features of the ATSC 115.   However, at $35 each it is hard to
> beat the ATSC 115 right now, unless  you need hardware MPEG2 encoding.
>
> Jeff Walther

The 120 has hardware MPEG2 encoding?  Where does it say that on the box?