[mythtv-users] Migrating HW and from .20 to .21. Concerned about storage groups and import of data

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Fri Jul 4 13:50:59 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/03/2008 10:47 PM, Larry Roberts wrote:
>> SUCCESS!
>>
>> For those following along at home I followed the directions found here:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html for moving your data to
>> a new server.
>
> Just a note to anyone else trying this, database backups and restores,
> including 23.5 (full restore), 23.7 (new hardware restores), and 23.15
> (change hostname) are supported by the backup restore scripts that (I
> hope) will be part of 0.22.  They work with any version of MythTV and
> are available (for now--until they're in the MythTV source) at
> http://misc.thirdcontact.com/MythTV/database_mythconverg_backup.pl and
> http://misc.thirdcontact.com/MythTV/database_mythconverg_restorep.pl
>
>>   If I had been staying with the same version of the DB I
>> believe I could have gotten away with just dropping the old db and
>> restoring the old one, but given the schema changes this way made sense.
>>

> Since your approach seems to have worked, I'm sure you did it this way,
> but to make things clearer for anyone else reading, the "new hardware
> restore" (23.7) can only be used when the exported data comes from the
> same version of MythTV that's used to create the database into which the
> data is imported--i.e. if doing a new-hardware restore /and/ upgrading,
> you must do the upgrade first, then backup the DB, then drop the DB,
> create the DB (with mc.sql), then start mythtv-setup, then restore the
> DB.  The only other option is to do everything described except doing
> the upgrade last (i.e. backup the DB, drop the DB, create the DB (with
> mc.sql), then start mythtv-setup, then restore the DB, then upgrade the DB).
>
> In other words, you should /not/ do a partial/new-hardware restore
> across DB schema versions.
>
> The scripts mentioned above will take care of checking to ensure you do
> things properly.  See the --help output for more info (than you probably
> want ;).
>
> Mike

I wish that I could say that I did the upgrade as you described, but in
fact I just did an export of the .20 data, filtered for the specific
info I needed and then did a reimport of the new data.  While all seemed
ok, what I'm finding now is that my upcoming recordings are all off by a
couple channels.
My source is the same as before so there is no difference in the
channels that I'm aware of...
If i go in and delete and redo the recording schedule would I loose all
the saved history of recorded programs?  I dont see any way of changing
the channel in the upcoming recordings and I dont want to do a record on
any channel at any time as that will also catch all the episodes that
started prior to my recording them with myth (Think 3 or 4 seasons of
CSI that I have watched, but not via Myth...)

My thoughts are that I could go into the mysql database and adjust the
channel there, but I wanted to throw it out for group consensus before I
do anything.