[mythtv-users] Migrating HW and from .20 to .21. Concerned about storage groups and import of data

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 4 03:59:33 UTC 2008

On 07/03/2008 10:47 PM, Larry Roberts wrote:
> SUCCESS!
>
> For those following along at home I followed the directions found here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html for moving your data to
> a new server.

Just a note to anyone else trying this, database backups and restores,
including 23.5 (full restore), 23.7 (new hardware restores), and 23.15
(change hostname) are supported by the backup restore scripts that (I
hope) will be part of 0.22.  They work with any version of MythTV and
are available (for now--until they're in the MythTV source) at
http://misc.thirdcontact.com/MythTV/database_mythconverg_backup.pl and
http://misc.thirdcontact.com/MythTV/database_mythconverg_restorep.pl

>   If I had been staying with the same version of the DB I
> believe I could have gotten away with just dropping the old db and
> restoring the old one, but given the schema changes this way made sense.

Since your approach seems to have worked, I'm sure you did it this way,
but to make things clearer for anyone else reading, the "new hardware
restore" (23.7) can only be used when the exported data comes from the
same version of MythTV that's used to create the database into which the
data is imported--i.e. if doing a new-hardware restore /and/ upgrading,
you must do the upgrade first, then backup the DB, then drop the DB,
create the DB (with mc.sql), then start mythtv-setup, then restore the
DB.  The only other option is to do everything described except doing
the upgrade last (i.e. backup the DB, drop the DB, create the DB (with
mc.sql), then start mythtv-setup, then restore the DB, then upgrade the DB).

In other words, you should /not/ do a partial/new-hardware restore
across DB schema versions.

The scripts mentioned above will take care of checking to ensure you do
things properly.  See the --help output for more info (than you probably
want ;).

Mike