[mythtv-users] Questions about Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212)

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 16:31:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 4:55 AM, Peter VanDerWal <peter at vanderwal.us> wrote:

>> Thanks for the suggestions on the amp.  The link provided says it is
>> for S-Video or composite.  Do you just use the audio terminals for
>> video, or are you not doing component video.  I did find a similar
>> model specifically for component video, but it is almost $100.  Not
>> sure I want to spend that much.  Actually, I'm not sure I would even
>> want to spend the $60 or so for lower-end model either.  The first
>> couple of posters who suggested the split seemed to be using Y-cables
>> or some type of passive splitters and didn't mention any quality drop.
>>  I was hoping I could get away with something like this:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/3-RGB-Component-Video-Splitter/dp/B000RJJ0XW
>
> That is almost exactly what I use, mine is white instead of black ;-)

Thanks.  I'll probably give it a try.  For right now at least the STB,
HD-PVR, and TV are all in the same general vicinity.  I can probably
get away with 3 foot runs (maybe even less, but I always like to have
a little slack because inevitably I will need to move stuff around to
troubleshoot or whatnot, and tight cables limits mobility).  The room
where this equipment currently lives is directly above the area of the
basement where my Myth back-end is setup.  Depending on the heat
issues, and how I decide to set things up with myth, I may eventually
move the HD-PVR closer to the back-end.  This would mean probably a
25' run, but it sounds like even at that distance you are not having
any quality issues.