[mythtv-users] Help NEEDED !

Graham Wood mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org
Thu Jul 3 14:38:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 06:35:10AM -0700, Alen Edwards wrote:
> I was wondering what else you run on your home server.  I run a home
> server that has a web server and email server.  I was wondering if I
> could combine these with the backend so that I only had one box on all
> the time.  Mine is a AMD 5400+
I've got an Athlon 2000+, and that's able to do all of what you're talking about - I've got
2 DVB-T cards, and a DVB-S in there.  I've recorded 2 things at once without a problem,
haven't hit 3 yet.  It's running web, ssh (including being the machine that I tunnel to from
work, and am at the moment), squid, email, dhcp, and I'm about to add a single camera to it
for zoneminder - although from other experiences with zoneminder that may not stay there.

If you're using DVB rather than something like the BTTV cards, then you really only need to
be able to stream data around on the backend... The heavy computation is in the watching &
re-encoding.

Your machine (Assuming adequate memory & disk throughput) shouldn't have a problem even with
the re-encoding...

Graham